60 secs Minimum - 8 mins Maximum Read
- CNN has filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration
- The Trump administration had revoked CNN’s White House correspondent Jim Acosta’s credentials after an altercation
- The international news media is, however, demanding in the lawsuit that Acosta's press credentials to cover the White House be returned
The American news giant, CNN is suing the Trump administration over the revocation of press credentials for White House Correspondent Jim Acosta. CNN in the suit is demanding that Acosta's press credentials to cover the White House be returned.
CBC reports that the Trump administration revoked them last week following President Donald Trump's contentious news conference, where Acosta refused to give up a microphone when the president said he didn't want to hear anything more from him.
FOX NAIJA gathers that the lawsuit was filed on Tuesday, November 13 in Washington D.C., District Court.
In a statement after the controversial incident, CNN claimed that taking away Acosta's press pass "violates CNN and Acosta's First Amendment rights of freedom of the press, and the Fifth Amendment rights to due process."
The global news media is asking for an immediate restraining order to return Acosta to the White House.
Prominent journalists and media organizations have also reportedly demanded Acosta's access be reinstated.
However, the White House said it would "vigorously defend against this lawsuit," calling it "more grandstanding" by CNN.
The White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said that CNN had 50 other pass holders, claiming that Acosta has been engaging in repeated unprofessional and inappropriate behaviour.
FOX NAIJA recalls that President Trump erupted into anger earlier during a news conference when Acosta questioned him about the so-called migrant caravan travelling through Mexico and about an ongoing investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.
“That’s enough, that’s enough,’’ Trump said on Wednesday, November 7, as a White House intern attempted to take the microphone off Acosta. “You are a rude, terrible person.’’
The White House press secretary accused Acosta of putting his hands on the intern, who was trying to take the microphone from him. She called his behaviour “absolutely unacceptable.’’
Video of the encounter showed Acosta pulling back as the intern moved to take the microphone. The White House has, however, been accused of editing the video.
“While the suit is specific to CNN and Acosta, this could have happened to anyone.
“If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials,” CNN said.
Meanwhile, FOX NAIJA previously reported that the United States promised to make those involved in the gruesome killing of US-based Saudi journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, pay for their act.
The US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, made this threat during a phone conversation with the Saudi crown prince, Prince Mohammed bin Salman, on Sunday, November 11.
The threat was expedient after the pre-killing audio statement of the slain veteran journalist and critic of the Riyadh was revealed, detailing how he was begging his killers moments before he was murdered.