The Punch reports that the remains of 26 Nigerian women believed to be migrants have been recovered from a Spanish warship in the Italian coast city of Salerno.
A report by the British Broadcasting Corporation on Monday said a Spanish warship, Cantabria, which docked in the city, was found to be carrying 375 rescued migrants and the dead women.
According to the report, 23 of the dead women were on a rubber boat with 64 other people.
It also quoted Italian media report that the women's bodies were kept in a refrigerated section of the warship. Most of them were between the ages of 14 and 18.
The Punch newspaper
UNHCR spokesman, Marco Rotunno, said the 26 dead were involved in a shipwreck off Libya.
Most of the 375 survivors brought to Salerno were sub-Saharan Africans from Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana, The Gambia and Sudan, the daily La Repubblica reports.
Vanguard reports that confusion, yesterday, trailed Sunday's surreptitious removal from office of Chairman, Presidential Special Panel on Recovery of Property, Chief Okoi Obla-Obono, a long standing political ally of President Muhammdu Buhari.
Obla-Obono, who is also Senior Special Assistant to Buhari on Prosecution, was unceremoniously booted out of office, Sunday night, on the orders of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, who shares the same office with the former.
Apart from removing Obla-Obono from the strategic office, Malami, also warned him not to speak to the media on any issue involving the government without seeking and obtaining expressed permission and clearance from him.
But, yesterday evening, the embattled presidential aide rushed to the office of the Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, and asked to know whether indeed he asked the AGF to sack him from his post.
Vanguard source said the meeting between the two politicians was for Obla-Obono to hear directly from the Vice President whether he had actually been removed from the post or not.
The Nation reports that the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) appears to have slipped back into trouble, barely three months after the Supreme Court resolved its leadership tussle.
Ahead of the party's December 9 national convention that will produce a new leader, it is battling to resolve crises in at least six states where the congresses for the election of delegates and state council executives have thrown up problems.
The troubled state chapters are: Oyo, Ogun, Osun, Adamawa, Zamfara and Gombe. The congress is yet to hold in Lagos where the party is also divided.
The nation newspaper
The party held parallel congresses in Oyo and Ogun states. Two factions were yesterday locked in a bitter struggle to take over the secretariat in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital.
But the biggest confusion was raked up by some leaders in the Southwest who, believing that the party's chairmanship had been zoned exclusively to the zone, excluded some aspirants from the race. They endorsed others.
The Guardian reports that Senate President Bukola Saraki yesterday defended himself over the leaked Paradise Papers wherein he was alleged to have broken the law.The Paradise Papers is a set of 13.4 million confidential electronic documents relating to offshore investment, leaked to the public on Sunday.
Saraki in a statement by his Special Adviser (Media Publicity) noted that he had not done any wrong. "Once again, the issue of offshore company registration which was first raised in 2016 is being revived and thrown to the public space.
As a responsible public officer, Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, will continue to explain his position. We know this is the period of politics when mudslinging is a common trick in the game.
The Guardian newspaper
"However, we will like to make it known that Dr. Saraki violated no law and did nothing illegal in the course of registering the company under reference, Tenia Limited, and afterwards.
"As we had earlier explained when the issue was first brought into public view, the company in question, Tenia Limited, was incorporated in 2001, long before Dr. Saraki ventured into politics and was elected into public office.
ThisDay reports that the delay by the executive arm of government in releasing the N100 billion earmarked for the funding of constituency projects in the 2017 budget is currently strengthening a plot by lawmakers to convey their displeasure to President Muhammadu Buhari when he presents the 2018 budget to a joint session of the National Assembly Tuesday.
Since the passage of the 2017 budget five months ago, not a dime has been released for the constituency projects dear to the hearts of the lawmakers.
The constituency projects were captured under the N2.6 trillion capital spending plan for 2017, but the executive arm of government has so far released only N436 billion for what it termed priority capital projects.
The president is billed to address the members of the National Assembly at 2 p.m. Tuesday to present the N8.6 trillion Appropriation Bill for 2018.
However, some lawmakers, especially those in the House of Representatives, have threatened to make their displeasure known over the non-release of funds for the constituency projects by booing Buhari and repeatedly interrupting his address, THISDAY gathered.
Are Nigerians truly tired of President Buhari? on NAIJ.com TV.
on Facebook @CAMPUSNAIJA.info
on Twitter @CAMPUSNAIJA.info
on Instagram @CAMPUSNAIJA.info
Call: +234 90 3912 9742
Whatsapp: +234 70 3982 1748
If you have a story suggestion Email firstname.lastname@example.org